- the oldest Montessori school in the state of Maine
- the only non-denominational, alternative Elementary school in the greater Waterville area
- licensed as an approved private school by the Maine Department of Education
- accredited by the American Montessori Society since 2007
- recognized as a Quality Child Care facility, through the Quality for ME statewide rating system
At our location in Fairfield, we offer Primary and Elementary Montessori programs to 100 children from ages 3 to 12. Our four classrooms are all multi-age: three Primary classrooms (ages 3 to 6) and Lower Elementary classroom (Grades 1 to 3), with a new Upper Elementary classroom opening in 2016-17 (Grades 4 to 6).
The school stands on 14 acres of fields and woodlands, with a stream and beautiful views, convenient to Interstate 95. Children can cross-country ski in winter and garden in the spring and summer sessions. There is a large playground with new play equipment that overlooks an adjoining farm. The facilities are bright and cheerful. The classrooms and the day care room each have their own bathroom, kitchen unit, and door to the outside playground and gardens.
Students come from diverse backgrounds, bringing together the families of teachers, farmers, artists, professionals and business people. Many commute from surrounding communities, including Pittsfield, Clinton, Freedom, Skowhegan, Belgrade, China, Vassalboro, and Augusta.
The school operates as a non-profit 501(c)(3) corporation, governed by a Board of Directors comprised of community members, past parents, current parents, and the head of school. Read our StrategicPlan and Upper Elementary Strategic Plan.
KMS Board of Directors
- Pamela Thompson, Chair
- Rebecca Green, Head of School
- Mary-Lou Ogden, Vice-Chair and Clerk
- Christopher Batson, Treasurer
- Kelli McCannell, Secretary*
- Sharon Conover, member-at-large
- David Holden, member-at-large*
*Current Parent Representatives