At our location in Fairfield, we recently completed the construction of a new wing and expanded our programs through sixth grade. We now offer Primary and Elementary Montessori programs to over 120 children from ages 3 to 12. Our classrooms are all multi-age: three Primary classrooms (ages 3-6), two Lower Elementary classrooms (ages 6-9) and our new Upper Elementary classroom (ages 9-12).
- the oldest Montessori school in the state of Maine, operating since 1976
- the only non-denominational, alternative Elementary school in the greater Waterville area
- licensed as an approved private school by the Maine Department of Education
- accredited by the American Montessori Society since 2007
- recognized as a Quality Child Care facility, through the Quality for ME statewide rating system
The school stands on 14 acres of fields and woodlands, with a stream and beautiful views, convenient to Interstate 95. Children can cross-country ski in winter and garden in the spring and summer sessions. There is a large playground that overlooks an adjoining farm. The facilities are bright and cheerful. The classrooms and the day care room each have their own bathroom, kitchen unit, and door to the outside playground and gardens.
Students come from diverse backgrounds, bringing together the families of teachers, farmers, artists, professionals and business people. Many commute from surrounding communities, including Pittsfield, Clinton, Freedom, Skowhegan, Belgrade, China, Vassalboro, and Augusta.
Board of Directors
The school operates as a non-profit 501(c)(3) corporation, governed by a Board of Directors comprised of community members, past parents, current parents, and the head of school.
- Christopher Batson, Treasurer
- Lisa Desautel-Poliquin
- Kelli McCannell, Chair and Secretary*
- Lori Santiago,*
- Pamela Thompson